Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rosie's Cracker Barrel

"Life in the Valley was a blast. I don't think I wore shoes. I'd spend a lot of time at Rosie's Cracker Barrel. We'd come in to buy breakfast and wipe the dust off the cereal box. We'd sit on the bench with Rosie; he was blind, so we told him what we were buying and how much money we were handing him.

"Sometimes we'd pull lemons from my mother's tree and then buy sugar and cups from Rosie on my mother's account, so we could set up a lemonade stand. It was the perfect upbringing."

It was built in 1927 as the real estate office for Robles Del Rio, the first subdivision in the valley. Rosie bought the structure in 1939, sold crackers out of the barrel, beans out of sacks, posted neighbors' mail between the shoestrings and pocket knives, stocked comics for kids, and ran a 6-stool bar in a back room for their parents.

From: http://montereypeninsula.blogspot.com/2008/11/rosies-cracker-barrel.html

From: http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_18903094?IADID=Search-www.montereyherald.com-www.montereyherald.com

1 comment:

  1. I just ran across some old slides in a closet. I'm scanning them now, and found a picture of a man standing in front of Rosie's. A Google search brought me here.

    ReplyDelete