Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Four Years After California’s Largest Dam Removal

The destruction of the San Clemente Dam, which had blocked the river since 1921, remains the largest dam removal project in California history.  The river is becoming wilder, and struggling fish populations are rebounding. So far this year, 123 Steelhead Trout have traveled upriver.

At the Carmel River other species, such as lampreys, an eel-like fish, are coming back, and tributaries are showing more wildlife.

Photo by Vern Fisher

3 comments:

  1. I know this place....where my parents took us to weddings and funerals at the Mission, although not Catholic- to be with friends-....I know this place- my parents buying the place on Lower Circle (now El Potrero) in 1964? or 1965)...I know this place-where my older brother's class went to the Dairy at Robles del Rio on a field trip from school...I know this place before the River flooded and the cotton wood trees were planted and changed the River bank...I know this place when Red would touch our coins at Rosie's to 'see' what denomination they were, being blind, he was...I know this place where we would swim in the River at Potters Pond and at Farm Center, and my mom brought a picnic...I know this place where my Mom stayed home and died there...I know this place where my own sons loved the River and their grandparents. I know this place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! So glad to hear your memories. I bought some candy from Rosie when I was a kid.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete